The tourist capital of Nepal situated 200km west of the country’s capital Kathmandu in an elevation starting from around 700m above the sea level to 1000m above the sea level. Pokhara is a valley surrounded by hills and mountains and also a city which is one the most popular and populous cities in Nepal. Although the core city lies in just 850 meters, it has been magnetizing tourists from the globe because it showcases mountains above 8000 meters.
Summers are pretty hot the temperature ranges from 25-35 degree Celsius in the mid-day whereas winters are cool with temperature ranging from -2 – 15 degree Celsius with warm and bright sun most of the days. Pokhara is also known as the rain capital of Nepal as it receives highest amount of rain every year in season.
Important sites in Pokhara
- Davis fall also known as Patale chango is a natural fall created by inter channel of Seti river which flows through the city. The fall is majestic and huge in summers, which is as well the outlet of Phewa lake. The Davis fall after making a drop vanishes under the ground and flows from inside Pokhara city.
- Phewa Lake which is the largest lake in the city and is right at the city center. In fact the place or the city center, which is the most happening place is named after the lake as “Lake side” . The reflection of Annapurna range is one of the most promising view.
- Begnas Lake second largest freshwater lake of Pokhara is located in Lekhnath.
- Tal Barahi, located at the center of Phewa Lake is a magnificent example of Nepalese architecture. The periphery of the temple takes about 15 minutes to be reached on a boat. The area is only the land mass in the whole lake which makes almost every visitor to think about the possibility of its existence at the middle of the lake.
- World peace pagoda inaugurated in 1999 is located at southern shore of Phewa Lake on the hilltop of Ananda hill. The pagoda is regarded as symbol of peace and harmony. The hilltop offers a royal view of entire Pokhara city and the Phewa Lake. On a crystal clear day the knoll is an excellent vantage point for the mountains in the Annapurna range.
- Sarangkot located at an elevation of 1600m from the sea level, is a small hilltop village. Sarangkot being the highest hill in Pokhara is famed for the panoramic view of Annapurna range. Hundreds of tourists gather every morning entire year to witness the most beautiful moment of the day known as the sunrise. This highest hill top is also the starting point for adventure sports like paragliding, parahawking, ultra light and zip liner. It offers a lot of things that are appreciated by visitors but the view of Pokhara city is the favorite amongst them.
- Religious Sites are fascinating in the city of Pokhara as it carries a long history on its back. Although most of the early infrastructures were destroyed by the earthquake of 1930’s, some temples built centuries ago, which still stands strong would catch by passers eyes. The temple of Bindabasini is amongst one of the magnificent structure built by ancient engineers.
Accommodation In Pokhara
Pokhara is a tourist capital and is one of the most modern city when it comes to modern day amenities. It has hotels, lodges, and hostels to cater almost every kind of travelers. With no extra effort one can find five star hotels and lodges with heated swimming pools and rooms, as well as basic accommodation which would offer clean beds and hot showers.
Food, Shopping and Night life
Name any cuisine or drinks and you should be able to find it in Pokhara, especially in the lake side. The lakeside has plenty of lakeside as well as street side restaurants which serves variety of culinary. Furthermore, finding departmental store should not be a problem.
There is more than couple of things in Pokhara which you should be able to find – one restaurants, two shopping centers, three bars, four hotels and fifth the night life.